FRIENDS OF THE FIRE TRUCK
|The Friends of the Fire Truck held an Open House on Jan. 18, 2007 which
was well-attended by members of the community. They were
given the opportunity to view the 1926 American LaFrance
Fire Engine that was purchased in March of that year for
the newly-created Center Line Fire Department.
In addition to enjoying refreshments and socializing with one another, attendees were also able to view old photographs of the fire engine and members of the CLFD who operated it during its 30 years of service.
LaFrance Type-75 is powered by a six-cylinder T-head
engine with a 5 1/2 inch bore by 6 inch stroke, rated at
about 100 horsepower. The truck is chain driven, with
mechanical brakes on the rear wheels only. It has a
rotary gear fire pump capable of displacing 750 gallons
of water per minute. Because the truck does not carry water, its
pump would be connected to a fire hydrant so that it
could boost the pressure and flow to the hoses it carried.
It was designated Engine No. 1 when the City of Center Line purchased a second fire engine in 1937. Engine No. 1 was permanently taken out of service and sold in 1957 when it was replaced by a new fire apparatus. Read more about the early history of the CLFD here.
of the Fire Truck is a 501(c)3 non-profit
organization whose mission is to complete the purchase of the
fire truck and begin restoration so that it can be used
for community events. A fund-raising dinner is being
planned for later this year. Your individual donation can also help
them accomplish their goal.
Checks made payable to "Friends of the Fire Truck" can be mailed to:
Friends of the Fire
Additional contact information can be found here.
View Wes Arnold's Photos taken at the Open House
Last Updated: 22 Jan 2007
visitors to all of the Center Line Historical Information web pages at GROBBEL.ORG