According to the booklet "The
History of St. Clement Parish, Center Line, MI, 1850-2000":
"St. Clement's cemetery
was formally established in 1871 although burials took
place in that spot in the early 1850's." The first
known burial in the cemetery took place on March 27, 1854.
"There are few records
of early burials, but it can safely be assumed that this
cemetery is upwards of 150 years old, also. Many
old-timers bought their lots before the turn of the
century, but the cemetery was closed to burials in the
1930's. Up until 1951 when Fr. T.E. Murray
came here, the cemetery had over a period of years grown
into a state of neglect and abuse. It had assumed
the appearance of a forlorn jungle, with weeds, dead
trees and wild vegetation creating this impression.
Then, in 1952, a group of women asked Fr. Murray and
several men to have it cleaned up so that it would look
Around 1978, the Parish re-opened
the St. Clement Cemetery and added additional land,
nearly doubling it in size. A chapel was also built
on the grounds, which are now kept in immaculate
On Sunday, November 5,
2006, a Michigan Historical Marker was dedicated on the
grounds of the cemetery which recognizes the historical
importance of this cemetery as the final resting place of
many of the earliest settlers and most notable families
in southern Macomb County.
Gail Martin, Dedication
Committee Chair, delivers her introductory remarks.
Samuel Logan, Jr. of the
Michigan Historical Commission
and Gail Martin unveil the marker.
A large crowd attended the historical
marker dedication ceremony. (all photos by Mike Grobbel)